5D MkIII in 2011

I wasn’t even thinking about this even remotely as the 5D MkII still seems relatively new, but it does make sense considering Canon’s regular timelines. Vincent Laforet basically, without coming right out and saying it, indicated that the new 5D MkIII would be out next year.

That’s only 7 months away folks!  Of course it depends when in 2011 the 5D MkIII comes out.

But on to the possibilities…

What will the 5D MkIII bring?

How many megapixels will the sensor be?

What type of video enhancements will we be seeing?

What type of high ISO will it be capable of?

What will it’s AF be like?

I’m thinking at least 30MP for the sensor.  Let’s say ISO 12,800 plus Hi 1 and Hi 2.  The video enhancements will likely be something minor as the current 5D MkII already shoots 1080HD.  Mind you, improvements in AF during video shooting would be welcome.

And the AF system… that’s a biggie.  The 5D MkII was a bit of a disappointment for a lot of folks in this area, especially when it’s little brother the 7D showed up sporting a brand new, greatly improved AF system that left 5D MkII owners feeling burned.  So the 5D MkIII is likely to have a new AF system.  Something of a hybrid in between the 7D and the 1D MkIV. Something really good.

Now the next question is, when will we be seeing the 1Ds MkIV?

9 Responses to “5D MkIII in 2011”

Read below or add a comment...

1. dee says:

actually, question is how much will we have to pay for it? I believe that they will build the 5dmkIII around the 1dsmkIV…they won’t up-feature it too much to protect the business of their pro 1d series.

2. I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE DIGITAL CAMERA THAT WILL GIVE YOU CORRECT EXPOSURE 100% OF THE TIME WITH OR WITHOUT FLASH, (FLASH t4D IS WHT i USE.) A CAMERA THAT WILL NOT ONLY DO THAT BUT READ AND CORRECT COLOR BALANCE AUTOMATICALLY.
    DO THAT AT A PRICE PEOPLE CAN AFFORD CANON AND I WILL BE HAPPY.
    UNTIL THEN, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. I STILL ENJOY MY 5d

3. Paul Burwell says:

It seems a lot of folks have problems with the autofocus on the 5D Mark II, but in general, I’ve had the exact opposite experience. You can check out this article on my Wildlife Photography blog to read about my experience shooting with a 5D Mark II at 700mm through a driving rain storm…

4. Bob says:

“Vincent Laforet basically, without coming right out and saying it, indicated that the new 5D MkIII would be out next year.”

Source? When and where did he say this? If it was posted online where is the link? This story is basically useless without citing the source more accurately.

5. K E Strickland says:

Hopefully, the 5D MKIII has balanced audio inputs for professional video capabilities.

6. George says:

I can’t stand the games that Canon and Nikon play on everyone. They hold back on the items at their disposal to then piece meal them in different models every year or so (on the pro and semi pro levels). This is not the way it used to be back in the day when 35 mm was the camera of choice (as is the DSLR) for most. You’d by a top end Canon, Contac, Leica, or Nikon and then worry about adding great glass and maybe a second body and some specialty items (flashes, etc….). Today, you have to worried about changing the body every three years at the most. No way, that is terrible, and they should not be allowed by the public to play such a game. Penalty: Customers stop buying latest models – skip one or two models at least. The day a player comes into the market that puts all the bells and whistles on a camera at one time that are available technically, that’s the day you’ll see me switch on the spot (provided it has the lenses too, Carl Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, etc.) to match. Come on Leica, HB, Fuji, Sony, Nikon, Anyone? 30 MP, 64-12,800 standard ISO range, 1080 i HD Video with various fps speeds, fast 51 point auto focus, dual CF cards, Nikon’s ergonomics, German optics preferred, built in stereo mike, built in Wireless, built in radio control flash commander with pop up flash, a Speedlight or flash system that is second to none, totally reliable, wireless, radio controlled, and always iTTL, with all the manual choices (as good as a Quantum at least), and all the bells and whistles that a pro can desire. I’ll stand in line for that baby and pay the top dollar they are asking for the stripped models they peddle today as top of the line cameras D3X, 1DmkIV, Leica, etc. . . ). It can easily be done you know, if they wanted to. But why give all the goodies at once when they can milk you with a different model every other year? Loyalty, more high end lens sales, second bodies (instead of using an inferior backup second body), and did I mention customer loyalty?

7. jackies35 says:

I am with your Ron! I guess I have to get a hasselblad h4d. I am still using the Rebel XT and wanting the 5d Mark II. However, the feedback I read and heard got me puzzled and afraid to drop my money!

I guess I will wait until they drop the prices on the 7D and jump on that since the AF is new and improved!

8. peter martin says:

Well, personally, I can’t wait for Canon to finally full their FINGER out and come good with the whole “auti-dust” thing. Their canon service clean is quite shoddy, but despite the flashing doo dahs on the display that tell you sensor cleaning is happening, you might as well turn it off on the 5D mk ii, and pay the $50 per month to have some bozos in a none too clean room swab it for you.

It’s good that the Nikon D3s has no sensor cleaning. = no bull! Maybe Canon could drop that crap on the 5D mk iii, and spend their time expanding dynamic range and expanding their feature set with useful things for RAW photographers, rather than the 90% of crap on the camera that is just for jpeg and the RAW’s jpeg preview, and I just turn that crap off anyway. It just slows down operation, and doesn’t survive the move to Lightroom or ACR, so basically redundant.

9. iSimonius says:

I don’t care – if it doesn’t have better waterproofing than the mk2 Im not upgrading. Yes water splash killed my mk2