Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Photography Discussion- Full Access for Premium Members > Wedding and Portrait

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Basic Member

StephenBurtless 10
Best Lens For Actor Headshots?

Hi Folks. Need a recommendation here about the best prime lens to do only actor headshots. i use a Canon 10D, Tokina 24-200 3.5, and a Tokina Pro 80-200 2.8. These are zooms of course and both have been ok for headshots, but I would like to find out what Canon lens, that I could afford for this purpose. Here are 3 lenses I have been considering. The Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 135mm 2.0 and the Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro. I want to use a prime for clarity and to maintain a specific style and look that zooms sometimes don't offer. Thanks for any advice. steve

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Basic Member

JoyPetersKurtz 10
Re: Best Lens For Actor Headshots?

I shot actors headshots for a long time and I think my favorite lens would be an 85mm. Next would be a 105, and that's considered by some to be the best portrait lens. I just find the 85 gave me more flexability. The 135 would put me too far away from my subject. Part of my schtick with actors is the intense interplay we get going between us.

No thoughts on the makers of lenses.

Joy
www.jpkurtzphotography.com

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

David_Buzzard 10
Send a message via AIM to David_Buzzard Send a message via Skype™ to David_Buzzard

85mm F1.8, no question. It's a great focal lenth, and the F1.8 makes it a lot easier to see in the under the studio lighting.

David Buzzard

Old 11-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Basic Member

StephenBurtless 10

Hi. Great advice from the posters. Looks like the vote is for the 85mm 1.8. I'll see if I can rent or borrow one and see how it works out. later steveb

Old 11-15-2004, 09:50 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

Charles_Matter 10

My preferred H/S lens is a 135 2.8 with film..and an 85 2.8 with my D1X. The 85 is a beautiful lens. I only use Nikkor lenses.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Basic Member

Jeff_Tiemann 10

ok, I know you did'nt ask, but there is an adapter that will allow you to mount manual focus (Contax/Zeiss) lenses on EOS bodies. If you want something really distinctive, check into that one... I did a google search on this a few months back and pulled up some interesting finds.

Obviously you will loose, AF and some of the bells and whistles, but you will have something that virtually no other canon shooter has, razor sharp, contrasty and beautiful colors. (not that canon isn't already razor sharp, contrasty and beautiful colors...)

Here's a site with mabey some info:

web page

better yet:

web page

-tiemann

Old 11-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Basic Member

Bill_Foote 10

IMHO Canon lenses are superior to any others except in the wide-angles. Check out www.photodo.com for verification. I used to use Contax/Zeiss.

Bill/SOB