Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Workflow Discussion - Full Access for Premium Members > RAW Photo Processing Ė Software and Technique

Notices

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 02-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Basic Member

Martin_Doudoroff
Aperture 3

As you may be aware, Aperture 3 was released today. On first glance, the new version looked underwhelming. Indeed, itís biggest features are face recognition & tagging, geolocation (automatic or manual) and non-destructive, local editing (brushes). The first two features are trickle up from iPhoto. The third feature is more or less the local correction tool we got in Lightroom 2.

Iíve bought Aperture 1 and upgraded to Aperture 2 on its release out of moral support, even though Iíd already committed to using Lightroom. While I doubt Iíll upgrade to Aperture 3, I did download the trial edition to check it out. Hereís what I have observed so far from cursory evaluation:
  1. This is a full 64-bit application.

Click for full size
  2. Aperture 3 feels zippier on my aging Mac Pro, as it should.
  3. The new geolocation feature is pretty slick, even if it sounds cheesy.
  4. Aperture 3 is obviously cleaner and more straightforward than Aperture 2, which similarly improved over version 1.
  5. Aperture really is now iPhoto Pro; if iPhoto is what you know, Aperture will be daunting, but recognizable.
  6. Iím not sure thereís really a market for an iPhoto Pro.
  7. This is nice software!

Iíll probably be sticking with Lightroom, but Aperture 3 is nevertheless worth a look-see if youíre a Mac user. And we should all be happy thereís some semblance of competition in this space.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

Johan_Elzenga 10
Re: Aperture 3

I'm far more impressed by the upgrade than you are. I think this is a major step, and puts Aperture ahead of Lightroom in many areas, except web galleries. The DAM capabilities of Aperture have always been better, and have improved further. The local corrections are more powerful. You can brush in/out any correction, including even things like chromatic aberration. And you have a more powerful brush, that can also be set to only touch highlights or shadows, for example. Aperture now also has a full, three channel curves function rather than the limited parametric curve in Lightroom. The advantage of a real clone/healing brush rather than a circular healing tool existed in Aperture 2 already, and is also still an advantage. All in all, I had my doubt about Aperture, but with this update I now strongly prefer Aperture over Lightroom again.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Basic Member

Martin_Doudoroff

Johan, ultimately I'm not particularly interested in the tit-for-tat feature comparisons because for most users, those are secondary concerns to working style and the "qualities" of the resulting imagery. I think it's clear both Lightroom and Aperture are highly capable, mature products. One will be more appealing than another, depending on who you are. I'm delighted to see Apple is keeping Aperture alive and evolving, although I have questions about how they're marketing it. There are a number of reasons why I'm sticking with Lightroom, momentum being the largest, but I would hate for anybody not already entrenched to overlook Aperture as an option.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

Johan_Elzenga 10

I feel the same. That's why I didn't like your 'iPhoto Pro' remark and wanted to rectify it. Aperture is much more than that. Apart from that, I couldn't care less what other people prefer. That's up to them.