Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Photography Discussion- Full Access for Premium Members > Pro Photo Reviews and Articles

Notices

Comment

LinkBack Article Tools Display Modes
Canon 1D MKIII Autofocus- Interactive Review
Published by drew
06-27-2007
Page 1

Canon 1D MKIII Autofocus Problems- Interactive Review

Recently, we did a full review of this camera and found it to be a wonderful camera for its intended audiences.

In our initial review we did not find any significant autofocus issues. However, we did not cover every possible shooting situation. Since there continues to be quite a few questions about the new autofocus system on this camera, we have decided to take a deeper look at this specific feature of the camera.

This is a "progressive/ interactive" review. I will be posting up some shots from the photographs of that day as we go along. I will not necessarily be drawing any specific conclusions until all of the photos are analyzed. However, please feel free to follow along as we go.

Special thanks to David Chapman at Professional Photo Resources in Atlanta for providing the camera body in this review.

To navigate this review use the arrows at the bottom of each page and/or the content box at the top right of this article.

<< <    Next Page: Day 1- Rob Galbraith's Report (Page 1 of 26)    >  >>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

By Noel_Carboni on 06-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Re: Canon 1D MKIII Autofocus- Progressive Review

So far so good. Reinforces my theory that a problem such as Rob saw must be a manufacturing defect. Let's be realistic: It would actually be difficult to design an AF system that would be negatively affected by temperature.

The fact that Rob tested two different bodies and found virtually the same defect in both may mean it's a component problem with a particular batch, which was a different batch than the one from which the camera you tested, Drew, was made.

It's a shame there had to be a controversy over this new camera, even to the point where folks canceled orders. Even the best home run hitters in baseball don't hit home runs every time at bat, and even a whole game devoid of homers doesn't mean their capacity to hit them is diminished.

-Noel

P.S., your review's second page is a bit wide as viewed in IE7.
Last edited by Noel_Carboni; 06-27-2007 at 09:28 AM..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
By EricC on 06-27-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel_Carboni View Post
Even the best home run hitters in baseball don't hit home runs every time at bat, and even a whole game devoid of homers doesn't mean their capacity to hit them is diminished.
You HAVE got to be kidding. The difference between us and the masses is that we ARE expected to come back with 'the' shot EVERY time. I can hear it now..... Lets just go into the church's basement for your portraits, it's too hot and bright out here. MY batting average HAS to be better than .500, it darn well be better than .750 or I can trade all my gear in for a mini van and start shuttling kids off to soccer practice.

Good thing the Super Bowl is held in February and in the evening.
By Steve_Brenner on 06-27-2007, 11:52 AM

Drew,
I appreciate your effort to evaluate the AF quality in the Canon 1D MkIII. As one who has taken delivery of an early model, I am most interested in how the AF is working. The football season is still a few months away, but concerns about the AF system's effectiveness are weighing on my mind right now.

I would have liked to see some comparisons of the "runner" standing still at a few distances from your camera to see how the AF works on a non-moving object. In addition, there seems to be some motion created blur which indicates that a faster shutter speed could have resulted in less overall blur.

Thanks for contributing to our understanding of the issue. My hope, of course, is that Canon is listening and will make appropriate adjustments to both currently manufactured and future Mk III bodies.

Steve Brenner
By Noel_Carboni on 06-27-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
You HAVE got to be kidding.
Nope. Perhaps you misunderstood me. I meant to imply that Canon has quite likely designed a great camera, and that several may have gone out the door with a particular problem that is not seen in every one. Drew keeps proving the camera he has his hands on does NOT exhibit the AF problem seen by Rob Galbraith.

The issue here is whether the Mark III has an overall DESIGN flaw or Rob's cameras have a common MANUFACTURING flaw. The sample size is WAY too small to prove it DOES have a design flaw, but just one camera shown to be working properly can go a long way toward proving it DOES NOT.

Do I want to see more tests? Sure.

-Noel
By drew on 06-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Thanks.

There is a LOT more to come.

I got in late last night from testing the camera at a local Atlanta professional soccer club with Ron Holt. I just wanted to get something up.

I am planning on doing more running tests today with additional settings and a higher ISO to yield a faster shutter throughout the run. I spent at least two hours yesterday in the heat lining up and running at the camera. While I was generally satisfied that all was working well. There was too much motion blur due to the low shutter speeds to produce consistent and definitive positive results. This was especially true of the ones where I was wearing all black to try and more closely simulate the runner on Rob's site. I must say I am not really looking forward to running at a camera over and over again today. It is almost as hot as yesterday.

I also plan to test a few other things today.
By drew on 06-28-2007, 03:23 AM

Day 2 Added.
Comment

Article Tools