Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Workflow Discussion - Full Access for Premium Members > Printing

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2003, 09:05 AM
Basic Member

RichCooley 10
Resizing photoshop files for Costco

I'm interested in outputting photoshop files to Costco. I have already experimented with 4 x 6 prints and wanted to make some larger prints. I constrained my D100 files to 4 x 6 giving them a resolution of 500 pixels per inch. If wanted to make a 11 x 14 of that same image will I have to resize the file in photoshop to 11 x 14 or will the machine be able to handle that without rewriting the file again? I want to avoid making a separate file for each size print I want. The lab help at Costco aren't much help. They just got their machine.

Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-2003, 02:59 PM
Basic Member

AntonioDias 10
Re: Resizing photoshop files for Costco

I think that most Costco stores have Noritsu printers. Depending on the version they have, their native res is either 300DPI or 400DPI. You must find what version they have and resize your images for that. You may want to visit Ethan Hansen's site - http://www.drycreekphoto.com get profiles and other pertinent info.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-21-2003, 01:18 AM
Basic Member

MarkDavidson 10

500 ppi is way too much. You need only 300ppi for Frontier or Noritsu printers. Even then you have more than you need. I have sent files with as little as 180 ppi with stunning results even at 12x18 inches.

Old 07-21-2003, 02:06 AM
Basic Member

Ethan_Hansen 10

You will get better image quality if you submit files for each print size you want. Just make folders on your CD for each size, or give them several disks.

Costco uses Fuji Frontier models 370 and 390, as well as Noritsu 3101 and 2901 printers. The Frontiers are essentially the same, with differences in maximum output size and printing speed. The Noritsu machines print the same sizes but have different resolutions. The Frontiers use 300 dpi, the Noritsu 3101 is 320, and the 2901 is 400.

You will run into problems if you ask the printers to do too much resizing. Noritsu printers are better at resampling images to larger sizes, but neither machine handles overly high resolutions well. You will get better results scaling your images in Photoshop, QImage, etc. and then letting the machine print.

Another point to be aware of is cropping. If you are printing images with different aspect ratios, such as the 4x6 and 11x14 you mention, you will likely be happier if you select the cropping. Otherwise, the printer will blindly crop out the center portion to fit. A more detailed workflow, including sizing parameters, is on our web site.