Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Workflow Discussion - Full Access for Premium Members > Photoshop and other Image Applications

Notices

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #8  
Old 11-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Basic Member

Holly_Tracy 10
Re: Senior portrait composite template

I'm a self-taught Photoshop user, so I'm not really up to speed yet on how to create templates. That's why I was looking to take the easier way out for now. I've done some "collaging" where I blend multiple photos together, so I am familiar with layers, but I've not created any templates or done anything with frame edges... the cool stuff that you see with senior portraits these days. Since portrait photography is a part-time endeavor for me (systems analyst by day), I just haven't had the time to spend figuring out how to do them.

I appreciate all the help. If you can recommend any good books on CS and creating templates, that'd be great! In the meantime, I'll check out the ones for sale to give me a starting point. I assume that since these are psd files that I can manipulate them if I need to (i.e. change text, etc.)?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Basic Member

NorbertBissinger 10

Yes you can alter, modify or change anything. Text, colors, background. You name it.

When you have some just come back with specific requests and here you will find help from the many proficient PS users.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Basic Member

Bud_Kuenzli 10

RE: if you can recommend any good books on CS and creating templates, that'd be great!

I don't quite get that request. I have several ps books and I don't think any of them discuss "creating templates". I think the reason is simply that to create a "template" all you have to do is create something you like and save it....and use it again...But for most composites, it's an original every time. There are web sites where people/companies sell templates for things like baseball cards and sports cards where you insert the picture of the kid. there are similar templates for wedding photography (don't have any links) and probably other types. Some googling should turn up some of this stuff. I don't think it is addressed in most books because there is nothing in particular that is used for templates other than to create an image that might work well with another image. that might be any background or scene, or you might create something in a specific size with a hole for a portrait head so you can batch process a series of portraits with a template or group of them. If you are good with Photoshop, you can make any file you want into some type of template. It could be as simple as a line of text that you use with a variety of pictures. One of my favorite PS authors is Eismann kartrina or something like that...and Scott Kelby. I have books by both of them and they are both good authors. Here are a few of my composites http://www.pbase.com/santa/collages but obviously I don't use any template for this kind of thing.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:38 AM
Basic Member

NorbertBissinger 10

Very nice Composites.

There are no books speaking of how to make templates to my knowledge.

The name is Karin Eisman she is very specialized in retouching and restoration. She actually does this kind of work profesionally.

I will put a tutorial up by the end of the week to give a notion on how to get started. In the meantime go here and click on any link on the left to see a few I use almost every day.

web page

Old 11-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Basic Member

Holly_Tracy 10

Wow... thanks guys. What you're seeing is my ignorance where PS is concerned. I've used layers when taking photos and dropping them onto another canvas and feathering the edges, but that's about it. When I see the composite images where there's a "frame" or border around the pictures and a neat background (that could also be a picture itself), then I'm fuzzy on how to create something like that---- mostly the frame/border. I think I could figure out the "background as a photo" part. So... when I saw that there were templates where I could just drop photos in, I definitely saw that as an advantage since I didn't know how to do the frame part. I was thinking that a template was some kind of magic in that it had nice "holes" for me to just drop my photos into. I just figured that there must also be some step by step guide somewhere that would explain that a bit.

Thanks again for all the help! I did purchase a set of "wallet composite" psds that I'm hoping will help me get started, but I haven't received them yet. Maybe once I get my hands on them, it will all become clear on how they're put together and I'll smack myself for not figuring it out myself. I do look forward to your tutorial, though!