Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Workflow Discussion - Full Access for Premium Members > Photoshop and other Image Applications

Notices

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
  2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 02-01-2004, 07:50 PM
Basic Member

Stefan_Randlkofer 10
buying photoshop second hand

I am a bit confused about this: can i buy photoshop second hand legally, when it was already registered for the first user? will I be able to upgrade this later?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Basic Member

Alex_Osadzinski 10
Re: buying photoshop second hand

Adobe's web site describes how to transfer a license: http://www.adobe.com/support/salesdocs/1086a.htm

The person selling Photoshop to you has to cooperate in this process by signing the transfer form. If (s)he has used the copy of Photoshop that they're selling to you to upgrade to a later version, they're not allowed to sell it to you. And, of course, they have to uninstall the product that they're selling to you.

I've gone through this process myself, when I sold a copy of After Effects 5.5 and Premiere 6.5 to someone else. I took advantage of a special Adobe offer to buy a full (i.e. non-upgrade) version of their new Video Suite, and so wasn't upgrading these older versions of the products. That's one example of a legitimate sale.

Watch out for academic versions. You can't legally use them for commercial purposes.

Adobe makes the process very straightforward, using the forms on their web site.

Hope that helps!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-02-2004, 07:06 AM
Basic Member

Noelle 10

[ QUOTE ]
Watch out for academic versions. You can't legally use them for commercial purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your response was right on. I'd just add that, not only can't you use academic versions for commercial purposes, you can't transfer their licenses either. I just found that out the hard way. Unfortunately I registered my Illustrator CS as I installed it and then found I don't like it at all. But I can't transfer it so I'll have to sell it with a very deep discount. If, indeed, I can sell it at all.

Moral here is always read the license but...

Anyway, since I've blithely used academic license (legitimately) for years and never knew that, I thought it might be worth a mention.

-Noelle

Old 02-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Basic Member

Noelle 10

Hmmm. The edit window has shrunk considerably! I posted that 32 minutes ago and it won't allow editing. Was it always that short? I hadn't thought so.

Anyway, I guess the moral really is not to register the first time you install. Then if you don't like it, you can sell it unregistered.

-Noelle

Old 02-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Basic Member

Chuck_Kimmerle 10

Transferring a licence through Adobe is not required, unless you're dealing with the CS versions which REQUIRE registration through their website for the apps to continuing working past 30 days. It still doesn't hurt to transfer through Adobe, though, if that's what you want to do.

When purchasing any used software, just but sure you get the original installation disks and a bill of sale. That will protect you if the original owner decides to keep a copy.

Chuck