Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Photography Discussion- Full Access for Premium Members > Photojournalism

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Basic Member

SteveBurtless 10
How To Obtain Press/Media Permit?

Hi P Journalists. I live in Los Angeles and have been shooting digitally around town for a couple of years. I wanted to find out if there is some kind of "generic" press pass that can be applied for that can give pro freelancers access to events normally closed to the public to photograph. I hear that since 9/11/01, it has been difficult to obtain a press permit, but there must be a way. Can anyone here advise on the procedure for getting one? Thanx for your help.
later steveb

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Basic Member

joed 10
Re: How To Obtain Press/Media Permit?

I can only speak from New York City and New Jersey press experience but I'm sure that one must go through similar channels in other states. In NYC, you go through the police department and must have an application signed by the editor of a newspaper. In New Jersey, you apply through the New Jersey Press Association who work with the New Jersey State Police. You must submit and application with a signature from an editor of a newspaper. I don't see much difference in regulations since 911, access seems the same. You either get a good cop that will follow the guidelines or a bad cop that needs to stick his chest out for whatever reason. I would suggest approaching a newspaper in your area asking to show your work with hopes of shooting a few jobs for them. It takes time to build trust for an editor to sign for you. When I first started shooting freelance for a daily newspaper, they gave me a company id card. As time went by, they called me for spot news jobs and eventually signed for me to get a credential.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-10-2003, 12:08 AM
Basic Member

SpencerHoo 10

The LAPD has a Police Issued "press pass" that allows photogs to cross police lines to take pics and such. Contact their Media Relation dept for more info.

You need to have a signed letter from a photo editor at a nespaper in order to apply.

Can anyone confirm?

Old 09-10-2003, 01:07 AM
Basic Member

SteveBurtless 10

Thanx to the posters that offered their advice about getting a photo press pass. Does an authorized "generic" press pass mean that you can go to the Staple Center to photograph the Lakers, big musical events, etc? Are there restrictions to gaining access? later steveb

Old 09-10-2003, 01:30 AM
Basic Member

SpencerHoo 10

To get into entertainment venues, you will need a photo credential issued by the hosting organization. In order to obtain this credential, a newspaper, magazine, other press organization must request from the hosting organization in advance.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:20 AM
Basic Member

Chuck_Kimmerle 10

Steve,

There is no such thing as an all-access, generic press pass. As stated above, press passes are issued by the individual venues, departments, etc., to legitimate news folks with a verifiable employment or affiliation. Even if you could get a legitimate pass from a city police dept, it probably wouldn't do you any good for concerts, or the like. As a general rule, only legitmate news shooters are allowed access to musical events (and then for only three songs) since freelance shooters make their living by selling photos, something celebs or musicians dislike.

Please don't consider those "media passes" sold in the back of photo magazines. They may look good and get you into a high school baseball game, but that's about it. A few years ago I watched a guy throw a tantrum outside the Pittsburgh Steelers media gate because his mail order press pass did not get him into the game. He caused such a melee that half a dozen of us working photogs had to wait to enter until security muscled him and his Minolta XD-11 out the door.

Chuck

Old 09-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Basic Member

SteveBurtless 10

I want to thank all of you who took the time to respond to my request for info regarding obtaining press passes. It looks like I will make the rounds in the LA area and get to know the photo editors and see if that could get me started. There are so many functions and events occuring in the city daily, that there must be something I can get access to and do some shooting. later steveb