Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Nikon Digital SLR

Notices

LinkBack (6) Thread Tools Display Modes
  6 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 12-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

Roger_Martin 10
Nikon D300 defaults

My wife's D300 came with extremely poor default settings. The camera was practically unuseable. I still have not been able to set it up properly for her use. We will be using it mostly for MotoCross and Weddings.

If you had success, what are you settings?

This is what I am using now:
Program mode
Continuous shooting
CL 4fs
AFC & AFS = focus priority
Dynamic AF 9 pt
AF activation off = AF button only
AF pt selection 51
Autofocus = all auto (default)
Center weighted 10mm
White Balance auto
Picture Contro = neutral
High ISO normal

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

michael_gunawan 10
Re: Nikon D300 defaults

why is it "poor default settings" ? what kind of results are you getting ?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Basic Member

Bill Graham 10

I'll echo Michael's question in slightly different terms: What PROBLEMS are you having with the default settings? Focus, exposure, color, controls or what?

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG? Are you processing in NX or another software? It makes a difference, except for WB and ADL the picture processing settings are ignored in third-party RAW processors. If you're shooting JPEG, you'll have to be particular about settings for color, sharpening, NR, etc. since they're "baked into" your output file. In RAW, it matters little since your processor will either ignore most of the settings or be able to change them. The defaults may or may not suit your style and requirements for JPEG shooting, but they're just what the camera comes with. They had to set it up for something, what you consider to be "extremely poor" and "unusable", another customer might be perfectly happy with.

Shooting conditions at weddings are 'way different from those at motocross events, I doubt you'll find a "one size fits all" solution that'll cover both adequately, much less optimally.

FWIW, I shoot mainly landscapes and candids, my D300 came out of the box with very usable defaults. I shoot raw and process in Lightroom/ACR so didn't pay much attention to color settings, just some tweaks to the controls and selecting RAW output and compression and I was there.

It's a great camera, why hammer on Nikon because it didn't come out of the box with your preferred settings? There's 400+ pages of manual in that box and a great assortment of options in the camera, why not view it as an opportunity? I could bitch loudly and longly because I prefer to change aperture with my thumb and shoot RAW, but what's the point? It's easier to just set the camera to suit me and not nearly as detrimental to my blood pressure.....

Just my $.02/worth,

Bill

Old 12-14-2007, 05:26 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

Roger_Martin 10

Yes, Focus, exposure, color, controls or what. I expected this to be set up as the ultimate "point and shoot" camera right out of the box. The only thing that seems satisfactory or better compared my D2Xes or my wife's old D200 is low light capability. The pictures are not sharp, or color true. The focusing is slow, inacurate and the highlighted square jumps all over the place. The camera did not come setup correctly for inside or out. Perhaps, all it needs is resetting and was not at factory defaults. Perhaps the store personel messed with it before I opened the unsealed box.

I guess I am spoiled because this is the first time I've ever been dissappointed in a Nikon product. I upgraded from Minolta 8 years ago. For instance, my D3 took pictures so good right out of the box that I was totally blown away.

What I am asking is what settings are you using for outdoor shooting and what settings are you using successfully for indoor Events? We shoot thousands of pictures every week at normal, large, optimum quality JPEG.

Last edited by Roger_Martin; 12-14-2007 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

michael_gunawan 10

try to reset it to default setting first
there're the 2 quick reset buttons QUAL and +/- (marked with green dot). Hold them together for more than 2 seconds.

btw, out of the box, mine gives excellent results

Old 12-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

Richard_Coyle 10

Roger
For all things Nikon, go to the Nikonians website for excellent resources. The D100/D200/D300 Forum has a thead that provides an Excel spreadsheet with recommended settings for the D300. There's also an old one for the D200. Here's the D300 link:

Discussion Forums @ Nikonians - D300 Custom Settings Spreadsheet Version 1.1

Also, from what you've described, you may have a defective unit. Check everything out from the spreadsheet settings and if you don't find it to produce excellent out of camera Jpegs, something is wrong. By the way, why are you using Program mode? Is it to keep it simplified for other shooters? If possible, I'd consider Aperture mode, if the shooter is educated on how to use it. And from my experiences with a couple of bodies, I find the specific default lighting settings for incadescent, fluorescent, etc. to be pretty much spot on and slightly more accurate than Auto in many situations. Good luck!

Old 12-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

James Haba 10

After reading multiple posts on how great the images are from this camera, I would echo Richard's post. Reset the settings. If you still don't get good results I would suspect the camera is not up to the cut.
James Haba