Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Nikon Digital SLR

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

DouglasUrner 10
Re: Is the Nikon D2X a good Wedding Camera?

[ QUOTE ]
Paul, I'm sorry to say, if you can't produce stunning work with a D2X, it's time to take a class or read a book. There is no way that what you describe is the fault of this camera.

[/ QUOTE ]

or have the camera checked out.

Doug

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Basic Member

Andrew_Watkins 10

In your defence Paul, i have to agree with your comments about D2X at low shutter speeds and handholdability. I just shot an arabian horse show here in the UAE, it was under poor floodighting, so i was shooting 800iso, aperture priority 2.8, and shutter was playing between 40 -90 sec. Now i'm a pretty steady hand and am used to panning if necessary, but i was so disappointed with results. I would not dare go to Hi-1.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:30 AM
Premium Member

George DeLoache 10

Iíve been shooting the D2X for about 8 months now and I have used it for portrait, editorial and weddings. It has functioned extremely well. Now it is truly a pro camera and if you are not on your game technically it came disappoint you with the outcome but the problem is usually pilot error and not the camera. The two areas that it might give you a problem is in the file size and the weight. The file size only allows about 45 images in the NEF+jpg mode on a 1 GB card, so I use a lot of cards and a Flashtrax to download them. Secondly it can get heavy by the end of the day so you need to be in shape if you expect to handhold it for a day of shooting. I am a true believer in Nikon equipment and the D2X has never let men down.
George

Old 11-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Basic Member

joedmiles

I agree with Troy (on page 1)-I use the Nikon D2X for weddings also and have found it blows the D100 away!
I really think it's a matter of getting to know the D2X inside out and learning how it responds to different lighting situations etc.
Once you feel at one with your D2X and know it intimately then it'll give you the results your after. I found the same with my D100.

In a way it's like getting used to a new sports car...you know it's got the BHP and speed but don't know what gear to put it in to get the best performance out of it. Once you've driven it for a while you'll become at one with it and know it like an old friend!

Out of interest...does anyone use the white balance bracketing feature on their wedding shoots when time is of an essence?

Old 11-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Basic Member

Shishir_Kapadia 10
Re: Is the Nikon D2X a good Wedding Camera? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mike_Sturk

Old 11-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Basic Member

Mike_Sturk 10
Re: Is the Nikon D2X a good Wedding Camera? *DELETED*

Please stay on topic here and that means not asking about Canon cameras in a Nikon thread. As for the other deletion(s) in the thread, please follow the rules and keep it friendly.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Basic Member

Chris_Neely 10

Paul - my D2X was doing two of things yours is viz. the yellow cast and the tendency towards two stops underexposure. It's currently back with Nikon. I've PM'd you with a bit more detail which I don't want to air here for comparison. Re everyone else - I sent Nikon customer service some pics and they agreed it didn't look like it should be doing what it was doing, given how it was set from the camera data and and the images they were seeing. I'm not using home made lenses, shooting while drunk, shooting directly at the sun, or anything else. The Nikon guy I have been dealing with has been very helpful and has never tried to say it's just me. What some forum users can't seem to get their heads round is that just because your camera works great it doesn't mean they all do. They all should but that's not guaranteed. Every production line throws out the odd lemon. I hope there is a tangible problem with my D2x and it comes back sorted, because it's a lovely bit of kit and it does some stuff very well. But image wise my old D1X knocks spots off it and did it's stuff right out of the box four years ago without any learning curve or tweaking. Nikon say it shouldn't be that way the D2x should be better. Here's hoping..