Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Nikon Digital SLR

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2002, 06:39 AM
Basic Member

Raymund_Madronero 10
G Series over D Series Nikon Lenses

I just purchased a Nikon D100 a week ago and initially bought a Nikkor Zoom AF 28-100mm f/3.5-5.6G (partly because the 28-105mm D series was not available). I was just wondering if someone can point out the main difference between the G and D series aside from the absence of the aperture control settings, the lighter weight, the price in the G series. Is the D series necessarily a better lens than the G series? I am not really a pro photographer and would just be using my cam for semi-pro applications. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-25-2002, 06:51 AM
Basic Member

Rick_Oz 10
Re: G Series over D Series Nikon Lenses

I purchased the same lens, one main difference is that the lens mount is made of plastic like everything else and one day it got knock slightly and snaped right off.
Will not buy another G series lens.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-25-2002, 07:51 AM
Basic Member

PolarBears 10

What is difference G and D?

G has NO aperature ring, light weight so possible carefully as easy break if you accident or so?

D has aperature ring, metal lenses as longer years (never know).

Old 11-25-2002, 05:48 PM
Basic Member

Freddie_Cheung 10

To add to PolarBears' reply. As you might notice, the aperture setting is no longer controled on the lens but on the body. Nikon is making (I believe) a transition in which every new body coming out in the future, the aperture control is only going to be controled on the camera body and not on the lens. This makes controling the camera easier with one hand than two, aswell as being able to make finer adjustments (1/3 stops), instead of guessing on the aperture ring (1/2 stops).

With regards to the D series lens, yes, some have a metal ring, but, if you look at the AFS 24-85mm G lens, the mount is metal. The new AFS 70-200mm f2.8 G IF ED VR lens is also a G series, and the mount is metal.

Sooner or later, all the current lens that are D series will be replaced with G series lenses. The quality of glass and construction will be the same except for the missing aperture ring. Sorry, for the people with older style Nikon bodies in which you need the aperture ring to control the aperture.

Hope that helps.

PS: Don't it seem that Nikon is slowly following Canon's philosphy ie: lighter bodies, IS versus VR lenses, AFS versus USM.

Old 11-28-2002, 08:21 PM
Basic Member

AlanSChin 10

That absence of the aperture ring on G series lenses means you CANNOT use these lenses on anything other than N65, N80, F100 and newer cameras!!!!

Which means that Nikon has finally broken their 40 year tradition of backwards compatability.

Which means the only people who should buy these lenses are people just being introduced to Nikon...

But if that is the case, YOU MIGHT AS WELL BUY CANON! The only real reason to stay loyal to Nikon is how everything works even with the old F and F2 and FM/FE cameras, IMHO some of the best manual cameras ever made...

Many MANY times i have looked seriously at the Canons, especially the EOS 3 and the EOS 1s, aand DID NOT GO FOR IT because of all my old reliable Nikon stuff. So I have kept ungrading Nikons -- the N90s, the F100, and now the D100.

But if you don't have all the old stuff, GO WITH CANON! I think Nikon has effectively given themselves only 5 or 10 more years with a whole generation of photographers who stayed loyal to them, often reluctantly. They are finally going to lose us eventually!

XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX

Old 11-29-2002, 02:54 AM
Basic Member

Raymund_Madronero 10

Thanks for the enlightenment. Could someone give me an idea on the difference in the optics between the D and G Series. I was reading some other forums such as these and I seem to get the impression that the D Series has better optics (?)

Old 11-29-2002, 06:17 AM
Basic Member

BillChaffins 10

Before you jump on the Canon bandwagon you should also be reading their forum, seems they have many problems too.
As for backward compatability, sometimes you have to do the break in order to move ahead. Everyone wants lighter, stronger, faster but the also want to be compatable with any of the early cameras and this is nearly inpossible to do both. Why would you even want to spend the money on a new AF-S lens when your camera cannot even use all of its features? Instead buy a used but in good shape lens and save a lot of money. Why buy a superfast focusing lens only to manual focus it?
I think Nikon has done a respectable job in keeping their cameras backward compatable for so long. I also think that to move ahead in changes to the lenses is a necessary one. Look at the weight savings alone.
Some photographers want to have the latest technology available but also want it to function on Nikon's oldest camera. Impossible. Nikon has done a great job in doing this so far but a split has come in the road and Nikon is following the one to the future.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]