Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Nikon Digital SLR

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Basic Member

SeamusLoughrey 10
Re: Complaints to Nikon

Forgot to thank the few who did take the trouble to post their complaints. Many thanks for doing so. Nikon , in so far as I'm concerned, is no longer the professional leader, they are amateurs in the digital age.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-30-2003, 05:52 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

Location: Washington DC (Philadelphia, Newport News, Allentown, Neenah, Raleigh, Kinston)
Delane_B_Rouse 10

On 11/25/02 I sent in my AF-I 400/2.8, Nikon sent me a loaner 400/2.8 AFS-II. I get the lens back in mid december, guess what...same problem. So it send it back...second week of Jan, I call and ask them whats the problem...they said they can't reproduce the problem at their facility. A few days later...I get a call from Torrance telling me that they are sending me another lens (same model).

Last Thursday, an AF-I lens shows up on my doorstep...it seems to work fine. I shot it over the weekend...before I returned the AFS-II lens on Monday.

I'm still pissd that they don't acknowledge backfocus issues, and that the rubber falls off, and that the selector wheel on the back falls off (mine is taped on with gaffers tape), and that dust sticks to the ccd, and that I have to pay for shipping both 'effin ways for NPS, and that it takes an acot of congress to speak to an actual tech, and that the stoooopid tech told me there was no way to number consecutively when inserting different CF cards on the original D1 ( I KNEW there was, but didn't have the manual on me)...but I STILL and always will make great images with my camera!

dbr

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-30-2003, 07:19 PM
Basic Member

Enigma 10

To save me typing it all out again, here is a link to just one of my unfortunate experiences with Nikon UK.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/cgi-bin/...c&f=1&t=002826

There was also the issue of bakfocusing, which my first D1X along with the loaner that I had, suffered from.
I am now on my third D1X, which was working OK, (apart from the rubber grips coming off), until I sent it for the hardware upgrade, the rest of the story can be found in the above link.
The 35mm equipment, that I had, before going digital, was Canon, so I had no brand allegance, whatsoever, when I bought a Nikon D1X, which I now regard as a huge mistake due to Nikon UK'S abysmal customer services and repair ability (such as it is???????).

John

Old 01-30-2003, 07:26 PM
Basic Member

Enigma 10

P.S. I know this is wishfull thinking, but would Canon consider giving favourable part ex terms, on Nikon digital stuff against new canon digital and pro lenses? Email me privately, in the unlikely event of this being practical, if necessary.

Old 01-30-2003, 07:40 PM
Basic Member

Ron_Ross 10

Am I missing something or are you too foolish to think that Canon is without its own set of issues? What am I missing here?

Although some of us bitch about Nikon, it still seems to be one great product. My experience with Nikon support has been nothing short of great. As one that was concerned about back-focus, I sent my camera to them, and they replaced my camera. Now I cannot guarantee that everyone that has there unit serviced will get their camera replaced, but for me, the service experience has been nothing short of professional.

FWIW, I am an amateur, no NPS. Just a regular guy off the streets that is very happy with my selection and sees no reason to trash Nikon.

If you're leaving, good. At least I won't hear you complain and continue to drag this foolish thread up from the bowels of this forum for your own self worth.

RSR

Old 01-30-2003, 08:51 PM
Basic Member

Enigma 10

Hello Ron,
Thank you for your kind comments.
Under what circumstances, did Nikon replace your camera, given that they do not officially acknowledge the existence of backfocusing problems?
I can truly understand your extreme satisfaction, at having 4000 camera with a global design fault, replaced. at the first time of asking.
I may have even shared your praise had I been lucky enough (along with several of my colleagues, here) to have the defective unit, replaced, immediately. However, when I put this to Nikon UK, after the camera was only five weeks old, they point blank refused and said that they would repair it, instead. Needless to say, when I got it back, it was exacly the same, still backfocusing, to the point of being useless.
I do use the camera, professionally, and when I buy a new camera, I expect it to do what it is supposed to do. When I have a camera repaired by the manufacture, I expect the camera to work perfectly, not still be in the same faulty condition as whan I sent it.
Do you think it is OK, for a manufacturer to sell you a unit, with a fault that is reported globally, even though they say that this backfocusing problem doesn't exist (how come they exchanged yours, then. Was it because you spoke to them real nice, and just because you beleived that the camera had a fault, they just changed it, to keep a happy customer?)

P.S. Leaving what? Is there some special club that you can join if you have a Nikon camera? Do you get a badge and a certificate, maybe even a T-shirt and a Christmas card?
Can I join, please?

John

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Enigma ]

[ January 30, 2003: Message edited by: Enigma ]

Old 01-31-2003, 12:18 AM
Basic Member

MikeKnifton 10

Enigma

I've had gear exchanged when it's been over 9 months old at Jessops. Like many of us, I never had time to wait for repairs.

By the way - I'm delighted with my D100, lenses, etc. I didn't have to wait too long for my free 1GB Microdrive from Nikon UK either! I'm happy so far.

Incidentally, 2 Students of mine bought Canon D60s at roughly the same time. Both were dead after a few days and both found the shops (not Jessops) refusing to take them back. Canon insisted in a repair too - that was over 6 weeks ago, and no sign of either camera... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Cheers

Mike

Closed Thread