Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Medium Format Digital

Notices

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 11-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Basic Member

John_Banister 10
Full frame 6x6 image sensor.

whenever full frame 6x6 comes up the thing people say in opposition that makes the most sense to me is that no one would ever make such a sensor. So when I saw one in production at http://www.fairchildimaging.com/main/ccd_area_485.htm, I can't help but try and make everyone aware that they're out there. They're probably way too
expensive (but not so expensive as Fairchild's giant 85 MP sensor, I reckon) to be used to make profitable backs, but maybe since the investment in the ability to produce them is already done, an order from a digital back maker would help recoup that investment even though the sensors were sold for cheaper than they were originally.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Basic Member

joern_kiel 10
Re: Full frame 6x6 image sensor.

I believe that some digital back makers already tested and calculated this chip. But have you seen the data = 4096 x 4097 by 15m x 15m pixel size ?
I would think that this chip isnt interesting enough for the makers to recognize.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Basic Member

BillCahill 10

Been using Medium format digital for 4 years now. In the beginning chip size was a problem, however there are so many specialized camera systems with specialty lenses now that chip size isn't a problem. I am more concerned with chip quality and software more than size.

Bill
www.bill-cahill.com

Old 11-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Basic Member

Ton_Santipong 10

Hi
Is it the one that used in the Dicomed BigShot in the past ?

Old 11-18-2005, 11:58 PM
Basic Member

joern_kiel 10

"I am more concerned with chip quality and software more than size."

Bill,

what exactly do you mean? I see your portfolio at your posted link and it doesnt seemed that you have any problems ;-)

jrn

Old 11-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Basic Member

John_Banister 10

[ QUOTE ]
Hi
Is it the one that used in the Dicomed BigShot in the past ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're correct. I searched a little bit and found this press release that says that not only does Dicomed use Fairchaild sensors, but that they have an exclusive contract to use them. This seems kind of sad as that product's requirement for both SCSI and Hasselblad 553 ELX (only serial numbers beginning with "E") seems rather limiting.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Basic Member

John_Banister 10

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that some digital back makers already tested and calculated this chip. But have you seen the data = 4096 x 4097 by 15m x 15m pixel size ?
I would think that this chip isnt interesting enough for the makers to recognize.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the big pixels would have moire problems in some applications, but I also think the ability to capture more of the image formed by the lens for 6x6 and 6x7 cameras is something that many people might value, and the lower noise levels and greater dynamic range possible with larger pixels might also be of interest to some potential customers. Perhaps the people with these interests aren't the ones with deep enough pockets, though.