Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Workflow Discussion - Full Access for Premium Members > Macintosh Selection, Configuration and Use

Notices

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
  2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 09-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Basic Member

jpaulmoore 10
Macbook Pro with Core 2 Duo?

I have convinced myself (anybody else ever done this?) That I am going to make my first Apple/Mac purchase of a Mac Book Pro, but decided to wait on the Core 2 Duo chip. Now several weeks later, still no mention of the Core 2 Duo machines. I realize a response would be based on pure speculation, but being new to the Apple/Mac world I don't know if I am going to be waiting days, weeks or months. I was hoping some announcements would be made at Photokina but no such luck.
Thanks,
J. Paul

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

ChrisN 10
Re: Macbook Pro with Core 2 Duo?

I made the jump from Windows to Macs at the beginning of this year, purchasing both a PowerMac G5 and a 17" MacBook Pro. Both machines are outstanding, as is the overall Mac experience.

In terms of waiting for the Core 2 Duo, I am not sure if it is worth it or not. Based on the published benchmarks, it does not appear that the Core 2 Duo provides that much of a performance boost. (Though it is a 64-bit processor, versus 32-bit for the original Core Duo.)

My suggestion: if you absolutely need a machine, purchase a MacBook Pro now. Anyone else have an opinion?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

Josh_Hawkins 10

I'm not sure what new laptop chips Intel has recently started shipping, but if they started shipping something pretty recently that would help the Macbook Pros I'd wait. Also, you may have to do some searching, or post something on the forums, but check out AppleInsider | Apple Insider News and Rumors and they may be able to help you out.

Josh

Old 09-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

JohnLund 10

JPaul,

Sit tight for the Core 2 Duo. I know it's tough to wait once you've made the decision to switch but then you won't be sorry later that you didn't wait.

I'm wishing I had postponed by decision to buy a G4 Powerbook rather than waiting for the new Intel chip version. You know what it is like...you gotta have the latest and greatest but then I needed a laptop ASAP and wanted to dip my toe in Mac waters to see what it is like.

ChrisN...as a self-professed computer geek, tell us why the switch from PC to Mac has been so great...at least from a digital photography point of view. I am keenly interested as now I am thinking of switching my top end PC stuff for the best G5 system I can afford.

Cheers,
John

Old 10-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

ChrisN 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLund View Post
ChrisN...as a self-professed computer geek, tell us why the switch from PC to Mac has been so great...at least from a digital photography point of view. I am keenly interested as now I am thinking of switching my top end PC stuff for the best G5 system I can afford.
First off, the following disclaimer applies: I am not trying to start a religious "Mac vs. Windows" debate. Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. The following is simply my experience, as a recent Mac convert...

The biggest revelation for me, relative to a Mac, is that I can focus on what I want to accomplish...and not concern myself with a constant stream of security updates and other distractions. (I am hesitant to enumerate what said "other distractions" are, as again, I do not want to start a religious war.)

Specific to digital photography, Apple's Aperture application is at the top of my list of things I prefer about a Mac. I have been utilizing Aperture 1.1 for several months, as part of a pure RAW workflow for my Nikon D2X, and the whole experience has blown me away. (Aperture 1.5 -- released late Friday as a free update -- has elevated the experience even further. But I digress.)

I realize I have not provided much in the realm of specifics, so please let me know if there are any areas I can comment on. That includes Aperture as well as the "Mac experience" in general.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Basic Member

Lana Smith 10

ChrisN..I have a copy of Aperture coming for my G5 and I am also going to be adding a Macbook Pro in the coming months...my question is..knowing that Aperture likes a beefy video card, what has been your experience with the video card/Aperture combination? I know they say it can run with even the standard one that ships in the macbook but I am willing to spend extra IF it means significantly faster workflow.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

diglloyd 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulmoore View Post
I have convinced myself (anybody else ever done this?) That I am going to make my first Apple/Mac purchase of a Mac Book Pro, but decided to wait on the Core 2 Duo chip. Now several weeks later, still no mention of the Core 2 Duo machines. I realize a response would be based on pure speculation, but being new to the Apple/Mac world I don't know if I am going to be waiting days, weeks or months. I was hoping some announcements would be made at Photokina but no such luck.
Thanks,
J. Paul
FYI, I have an experience report (free) online:

http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/MacBookPro/index.html

Lloyd Chambers, diglloyd.com, Blog, Free articles: Digital Infrared, Consumer Digicams and Diffraction, Firewire and USB Card Readers, Focus Accuracy, PowerMac G5 Internal Drive Kits, MacBook Pro Experience Report, DPP Batch Processing, Lens Mount Misalignment, Color Temperature and Noise, Nikon Capture Noise Reduction/Speed/Stability/Color Aberration Control, Background blur, Depth of Field, In-depth Reviews: Zeiss ZF Lenses, Guide to Digital Infrared, TheSharpestImage, 28mmShiftLenses