Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Workflow Discussion - Full Access for Premium Members > Macintosh – Selection, Configuration and Use

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Stephen_Kennedy

Which is Faster? Firewire vs. Ethernet

I'm upgrading my in-house storage and I'm at a crossroads. I have four new 400 GB drives that arrived on Friday. I can either put them into an idled G4 DP and access the data over my wired ethernet network or I can place the four drives into a dual bus Firewire 400 enclosure that is connected to my G5 desktop machine.

In theory, which would be faster for occassionally accessing files and running regular backups?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Basic Member

TomRockwell 10
Re: Which is Faster? Firewire vs. Ethernet

I think Firewire is about 400 bits per second and regular ethernet is 100. But you could go giganit ethernet (if all your machines support it and you get a gigabit switch). I don't know if it would really be faster than Firewire, though.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Basic Member

joeisayo 10

Stephen,

I work alot between my G5 and Powerbook and always transfer the files via the (T) Target mode attaching a firewire cable between the two computers. One of these I will try a firewire 800 cable which in theory should be alot faster.

Josef

www.josefisayo.com

Old 12-07-2005, 02:52 AM
Basic Member

CBFountain 10

Steven,

If you're truly interested in occassional access and backups are your focus, you might look at a network attached storage device like this: http://www.infrant.com

The bonus is that the device is RAID 5 so you have some data protection. I've had one for about 4 months and am slowly working it into my system.(I'm trying to complete my file organization before I migrate everything to the NAS) I only wish I'd started with 400GB drives as I currently have it filled with 250s.

Just to add--there are barebones models that you can install your HDs in. Cost is around $600.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:00 AM
**Do Not Delete**

Numbers…
For a few years now, Macs may have 10/100/1000 Mb/s ethernet connections, provided as previously said that you have appropriate cables and hub/switch
For at least one year Macs are 400/800 Mb/s firewire connected provided that you use the correct cables to link HDs to them.

Do your math!

On my own we have 5 Powermacs (G5 and G4)+ one powerbook + 2 PCs ethernet linked to a Mac OSX server machine (raid server with all our recent images on it) at 400 Mb/s as well as a FTP server for our clients). Therefore images are stored there and not on other computers, one image version only! no more duplicates… but this is a working platform, so we DO BACK-UP all raws on DVDs as soon as shots are done.
For OCCASIONAL access to files up to 300 Mbs this system is working fine though slower than same image stored on local HD.
We are moving today to 800 Mbs ethernet and that will for sure increase our productivity…

I'll come back later when everything will work to comment the new speed (we're moving the entire office, what a mess!)

hope it helps

Old 12-07-2005, 01:17 PM
**Do Not Delete**

There we are :
325 Mb PSD 16 bit file hosted on the Mac G4 OS X.4.2 server, 300 GB Raid 0 disk - 1Gb ethernet lan

Using a Dual G5 - 2,3 Ghz - 5 Gb of ram :

Opening the file with CS2 (CS2 already open) file hosted on server = 7"
Opening the file with CS2 (CS2 already open) file on G5 desktop = 7"
Opening the file with CS2 (CS2 already open) file hosted on local FIREWIRE 800 HD connected to G5 = 7"
Copying same file from server to G5 HD = 10"
Copying same file from local FIREWIRE 800 HD to G5 HD (Dual G5 - 2,3 Ghz - 5 Gb of ram) = 10"

Remember it's a 325 Gb file ! these test are far from scientific, just looking on the menu clock… should be accurate within 1/2 second error.
Even if I did not do the same test before the switch from 100 to 1000 Lan, I know it was far longer ! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Hope it helps…

Old 12-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

Johan_Elzenga 10

Don't compare apples and oranges. The disks (RAID vs single disk) may be the limiting factor, not the connection.