Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Digital SLR Equipment Testing

Notices

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 08-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Basic Member

HeatherHahn 10
Which calibration tool is best?

I just purchased a new computer (20 inch g5 iMac) and want to calibrate the monitor before I begin any work on it. I need to know what calibration tool to buy. I'm not looking to spend a huge amount of money on it, and I want something easy to use. Any suggestions?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

DavidBryce 10
Re: Which calibration tool is best?

You probably get what you pay for, but I am more than happy with my Pantone ColorVision Spyder2, very easy to use and works very well.

It is important that any calibration system allows you to choose your gamma settings, your black point and your white point, as well as setting your brightness and contrast to the correct amount.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Basic Member

Drew MacCallum 10

In most cases we have found the Monaco Optix units to be a little better with LCD monitors. My understanding is the "tunnels" are built for LCD on it vs the Spyder built for CRT.

David is very right- you get what you pay for, I would suggest anything but the Huey....

Old 08-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Basic Member

Mike_Early 10

And just to confuse the matter even further I have been using the Eye One 2 on my Mac for a while now and have been very happy with it. And while I agree with David that being able to control multiple setting is often an advantage it doesn't always work real well with the Apple monitors which don't give you the option of matching very many adjustments to your monitor anyway -- so my advice would be to see what adjustments you can make to your monitor and don't worry about getting a system that will do more than that --- unless, of course you want to buy a system that you know will offer something that you will use into the future. Just be aware that ALL of the Apple Monitors -- even the Cinema 30 limit the user adjustment to brightness only.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

DouglasUrner 10

The new version of the Colorvision Spyder (I think it is just called the Spyder 2) is under $100 and seems to be an extremely good value. Avoid the Huey. The Huey's sensor is not well enough shielded from the ambient light so it can get fooled pretty easily. Also I think you can find the Spyder for less

Doug

Old 08-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Basic Member

HeatherHahn 10

I have a mac (g5 iMac) which is a LCD. So, based on that, would you recommend the Eye one 2 or the Monaco Optix? I don't know whether to cater towards the fact that I have a mac or the fact that I have an LCD (or is there a calibration tool that caters to both?). Thanks for your help once again.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Basic Member

Drew MacCallum 10

You cant go wrong with the Monaco or the Eye One. If later on you decide to go with another monitor, Eizo, Lacie, etc you can use it to calibrate the device with the monitor software.

Mac or PC no problem for either one