Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Workflow Discussion - Full Access for Premium Members > Colour Management

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Basic Member

dontech 10
Restoring old slides in Photoshop

I have embarked on a project to restore a bunch of slides I took, most of them over 40 years old. Time has not been kind to them, although I was careful about storing them. Most of them have lost a lot of the original color and balance, plus they are pretty overexposed due to my experience at the time. These were taken with my first 35mm camera, an Agfa Optima... I wonder whatever happened to that camera.

Here's a link to one of my latest efforts: Photo Page
When I first saw the slide after I scanned it with a Canon FS2710 film scanner, I thought there was no way I could do anything with it. Photoshop is an amazing tool which constantly surprises me. I would appreciate any comments on my efforts. I am always interested in learning.

Don

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Basic Member

BobCMoore 10
Re: Restoring old slides in Photoshop

Hi Don,

Looks like you made some serious improvment in the old slide.
If you have a lot of these to do you might want to take a look at a Photoshop plug-in from Applied Science Fiction called Digital ROC.
This software installs as a P/S filter and does a lot of this kind of color restoration all in one pass.
There is a free trial version available at www.asf.com/store that you can download to see if it will work for you. Of course, if you want to use it for real, you gotta buy it ($49.95). Until you pay for it, the trial version has a watermark in the image.
If this works for you it could be 50 bucks well spent.
Good luck,

Bob

[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: BobCMoore ]

[ January 05, 2003: Message edited by: BobCMoore ]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Basic Member

dontech 10

Thanks, Bob. I'll check into that.

Don

Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Basic Member

Ron_Ross 10

Don,

It looks great. A few things that I might suggest would be to look at VueScan. The program is amazing. I use it on an Epson flatbed scanner and the difference between Epson's program and VueScan is night and day.

Also, pick up on a book called Photoshop Restoration and Retouching, by Katrin Eismann. This is a great addition to any library as it deals directly with older images and how to bring out the colors, although you did an outstanding job yourself.

RSR

Old 01-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Basic Member

dontech 10

Thanks, Ron, I ordered the book today.

Don