Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Canon EOS Digital SLR with 1.6X sensors

Notices

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 03-19-2001, 09:25 AM
Basic Member

Ron 10
Kenko extenders?

I just got my Kenko 2x and I have to say I'm dazzled. Last time I had one of these was some other brand I've gotten, about 30 years ago... use in conjuction with a cheap lens and the results were garbage. The view finder back then grew so dark have the split image turned back and auto focus wasn't even a dream at the time. So I was real leary of it's usefulness. But it's cheap - I'd give it a shot...

Also got a ST-E2 and it works wonderfully for focus assist! This IR should have been built into the camera.

The reviews on the 1.4 made me feel confident in the Kenko brand. But I didn't expect the 2X to be near as good. But I wanted a 640mm out of my 80-200 2.8L lens.

I've only had a bit of time to test and and I'm really impressed. Sure it's a little soft but easily fixed with USM. I can't wait to take some real time with it.

It sure is fun, I can zoom in on an armpit hair of a frog at 50 paces! = )

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited March 19, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited March 19, 2001).]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-19-2001, 03:26 PM
Basic Member

PaulG 10
Re: Kenko extenders?

Ron,

I've been thinking of a 2x with my 70-200 2.8L so I'd like to see what you think once you use it awhile.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-19-2001, 03:58 PM
Basic Member

Ron 10

I have the older version of your lens. mine is 80-200 2.8L (black = (
It works great with this lens. I shot some play shots today... nothing special as it's pretty dead around here yet. But I did spy a wood pecker and shot em.
See him on the very bottom of this page. http://www.houseofphotography.com/kr...ond-update.htm
pic on the left was with my old camera, last pic on the right was taken with D30 and 2X giving me 630mm 5.6... I'd like to get closer but he was across the creek in the woods. As spring comes I should be able to get closer to the critters.

Old 03-19-2001, 07:56 PM
Basic Member

Ron 10

Here's a better sample. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...3841637&idx=15

80-200 2.8L with Kenko 2X extender.
Bird house is about 200 ft from
where I'm standing, shot is hand held
(640mm) 1/100th and 2.8 (5.6 w/2X)

Old 03-19-2001, 09:08 PM
Basic Member

Ron C. 10

Ron,
Thanks for posting that image. Just for comparison check out photo #5 of a Sikorsky Helicopter rotorhead taken with my D30 and a 100-400mm IS L lens. 1/250, 5.6, ISO 100 @ 400.0 mm

It's a totally different type of photo but it still serves as a good comparison.
http://members4.clubphoto.com/ronald...Misc._Gallery/

Regards,
Ron Curry

[This message has been edited by recurry (edited March 19, 2001).]

Old 03-20-2001, 12:40 AM
Basic Member

Barry Thomas 10

I had extenders on my all-manual Praktica about 200 years ago - nothing electronic... so does the Kenko 2x allow all of the features of the 28-135 IS to work - auto focus _and_ IS?

tvm

Baz

Old 03-20-2001, 01:19 AM
Basic Member

Frederico Torchia 10

Yes,
The Canon 28-135IS is a very good combination with the Kenko 1.4x 300PRO teleconveter.
Auto-focus WORKS! as well as Image stabilization.
There is more AF hunting with the TC attached but it seems to be fairly fast, but not as fast in low light situations as the lens alone.
On the D30 the focal length will be 62-300mm with IS and good image quality since this combo performs very well.
Note that the Kenko 1.4x is optimized for telephoto lens of more than 100mm, so I would not use the range 62-100mm when it's attached.
Best,
FRED