Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Canon EOS Digital SLR with 1.6X sensors

Notices

LinkBack (9) Thread Tools Display Modes
  9 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 08-20-2004, 07:35 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

Doug_Kerr
APS-H sensor size?

One of the most intriguing facts in the Canon news release on the new Canon 580EX flash unit is that it provides for the zoom head to take account of the sensor size (and thus the field of view implications of any reported focal length) by way of receiving from the camera (1D MkII or 20D) sensor size information, with three choices mentioned: full-frame (presumably meaning full-frame 35 mm), APS-C (the common description of the sensor size used in the EOS 10D and 300D), and APS-H. It is the latter that is the most intriguing.

In the actual APS system, APS-H refers to the actual camera frame size, 30.2 x 16.7 mm. (It is actually one of three "crops" of the full APS frame in which APS prints can be ordered, this one the "non-crop"). It is intended to somewhat emulate the aspect ratio of HDTV (thus the "H" moniker). (The APS-H crop has an aspect ratio of 1.81:1, whereas HDTV has an aspect ratio of 1.78:1.)

Could this mean that Canon has in mind a sensor of this size in some future camera (or an in-camera crop of this size from a full-frame 35 mm sensor)?

Or is this just Canon's peculiar folksy way of describing the 1D MkII sensor size (the so-called factor 1.3 size, 28.7 x 19.1 mm), not otherwise mentioned as one of the choices. It sure takes a lot of "literary license" to plant the name "APS-H" on that size!

Interesting.

Best regards,

Doug

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

Noel_Carboni
Re: APS-H sensor size?

Here's a little bit of insight, from Chuck Westfall:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthrea...=168076#167890

The pertinent quote from that post:

[ QUOTE ]
Canon's digital SLR design philosophy is to provide a range of camera models to cover clearly defined market segments. For the foreseeable future, this is going to involve a range of sensor sizes from APS-C (as in EOS Digital Rebel and 10D) through APS-H (as in EOS-1D) to full-frame (as in EOS-1Ds).

[/ QUOTE ]

-Noel

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

Doug_Kerr

Hi, Noel,

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks.

It's sure a dumb description of that sensor size and shape!

"APS-C" is at least something like the 10D/300D sensor size.

Best regards,

Doug

Old 09-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Basic Member

AlanRew 10

It may be too early to ask this question..

Will those of us who own a 10D (rather than a 20D) have a way to force the 580EX to use the correct equivalent (i.e. 1.6x) focal length value?

e.g. could I manually dial in the (focal length x 1.6) value rather than letting the flash use the original focal length?

If not, this seems like an annoying (lack of a) feature for 10D owners.

TIA

Alan

Old 09-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

Jonathan_Wienke 10

You can manually set the flash zoom on the 550EX, so I see no reason why you couldn't with the 580EX.

Old 09-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

Doug_Kerr

Alan,

Do we know for sure that the 580EX won't make the proper adjustment on a 10D? Probably not, as the 10D will likely not give the sensor size infroamtion to the flash.

I have always been surprised that the 10D and 300D don't just pass "35-mm equivalent" focal length information to the flash anyway! I don't know any reason the flash needs the "actual" focal length.

If the 20D did that, then we would get correct zoomage with any autozoom EX flash.

But I guess Canon has something more subtle up their sleeve!

Best regards,

Doug

Old 09-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Basic Member

Gabriel_Aguirre 10

[ QUOTE ]
I have always been surprised that the 10D and 300D don't just pass "35-mm equivalent" focal length information to the flash anyway!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can set my Metz 54 MZ-4 to compensate the zoom of the flash to the condescension of the APS-C format. When it reads the focal length from the 10D, it compensates for the 1.6x factor; much, much better than having to do this manually every single time you need every quantum at your disposal with the 550 EX.

I believe the 580EX will have the ability for you to do the same as is currently possible with Metz's 54 flashes.