Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Canon EOS Digital SLR with 1.6X sensors

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Basic Member

angelicaglass 10
Canon BG-ED3 Battery Grip

I'm a little confused what the pros are for using that battery grip with the 10D. It says it takes up to two BP-511 batteries. Now, when using the grip, does it draw power from one battery at a time, or from both batteries at the same time?

If it takes from one battery at a time, then I can understand why you would want to use it because it lasts longer. However, a lot of people have said that it eats two batteries at the same time..meaning you would have to have like 4 batteries in case anything happened to the two in the grip. It doesn't seem cost effective.

Is it something I should consider getting?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Basic Member

StevenFisher 10
Re: Canon BG-ED3 Battery Grip

I believe the grip uses the batteries serially not in parallel.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Basic Member

jimquinn 10

Hi,

I believe that the BG-ED3 grip uses power from one battery at a time. When one is depleted, it switches to the second battery. You can use the grip with just one battery, but having two aboard doubles your battery life. But I bought mine as much for the duplicate controls (shutter button, main dial, and the three small buttons) that allow for convenient vertical camera operation. It does increase the size and weight of the camera, but I wouldn't be without it.

Jim Quinn

Old 05-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

DaveRe 10

I don't know how the batteries are utilized in the grip or if there's any sort of switching taking place, or what. When Chuck gets back, perhaps he'll enlighten us.

I use the BG-ED3 for the vertical controls, and extra grip surface (my hand hangs off the camera w/o it). It seems to help the camera balance w/ a heavier lens, like the 70-200/2.8, as well.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Basic Member

PatrickAguila 10

Hello all,

As per the BG-ED3 manual:

Inserting the Battery Packs
1. Slide the latch accross the open cover (diagram 5).
2. Insert the battery packs in accordance with the directions on the battery compartment cover. (diagram 6)
3. With the attach/detach knob, insert the batteries firmly until they are in the locked position.
4. Close the battery compartment cover.
5. Press on the lid until you hear a "click".

**Electricity is supplied firstly from the battery pack with the highest voltage.
**If two battery packs are inserted, they are used concurrently in parallel.

Hope this helps..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Basic Member

MilesPenner 10

I have had the BG-ED3 for a long time now and agree that the vertical controls and extended battery time are the pluses for this part. It just feels right when you have the "big ed" hooked up to the 10D.

Now, I know that the manual says it draws power concurrently from both batteries, but in my experiences I typically will have one battery close to dead, and one fully charged. So perhaps there is some logic switching between the different batteries, but typically it seems to me that they work serially.

Cheers,
-- miles

Old 05-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

Eric_Chan 10

I don't have a 10D, but I have a 300D (digital rebel) with the associated battery grip (BG-E1). I put in two fresh batteries and took a whole bunch of frames. Then I took both batteries out and charged them. One of them took roughly an hour to charge (i.e. to a steady red light) and the other only took a few minutes, so I think it's safe to assume that battery power is drawn one at a time, i.e. serially.

Eric