Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Canon EOS Digital SLR with 1.6X sensors

Notices

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 12-10-2002, 03:07 PM
Basic Member

MousTalaat 10
Re: How to edit RAW images ???

Raw images are not editable. In order to edit the pictures you took in RAW mode, you convert them to TIFF (8 or 16 bits- the latter is better) with a converter (Canon RIC or BB) in linear or non-linear mode (start with non-linear).
In Photoshop, open the files TIFF files saved by the converter and then you can edit, manipulate and print them.
I hope this clarified the subject a little

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-10-2002, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Walter_Kimmel 10

Gorham,
One of the advantages of shooting RAW is that when converting them to Tiffs, hopefully 16-bit, you can use the conversion program (YarcPlus or Breezebrowser) to add some exposure compensation, or change the white balance from what you shot. The original files (RAW) will not be touched, and you can go back and convert them with different settings.

As far as I know, there is no performance hit for selecting different pre-conversion settings, since all they are is data stored separately in the RAW file.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you see the benefits, you'll be hooked...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-11-2002, 12:25 AM
Basic Member

Noelle 10
How to edit RAW images ???

OK. I'm totally confused and while that's a pretty usual state for me, this is worse! I'm thinking a white rabbit must have wandered by but I missed him! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I'm trying to move over to shooting more RAW with my D60. Shooting no-flash sports with a variety of lenses all 2.8 or faster, zoom and prime.

Shot a bunch last week and I can't make Photoshop 7 "see" them. They're fine in BreezeBrowser and convert to .jpg so I can edit them. But I thought the whole point of shooting RAW was to be able to work on the unconverted image.

What'd I miss????

Gorham

Old 12-11-2002, 12:47 AM
Basic Member

John_Morton 10

You must first convert to jpeg or tiff before you can edit in PS.

-John

Old 12-11-2002, 07:29 AM
Basic Member

Noelle 10

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Well I went out again last night and shot RAW and I think it's more bother than it's worth. It took several different conversions to get it to editable stage and then the conversions don't any better than the large jpg files I'd been shooting.

I'm sure for work that's primarily for print there'd be some advantages and a system worth learning but my primary and immediate purpose is web oriented and I just don't have that kind of time. And, when I do print, said .jpg files are doing fine too.

I do appreciate the help here. I'll occasionally do a RAW shoot when I have time and try to learn the skills that go along with it. But with my D60, using manual settings, I believe I'm better off working in large .jpg.

Anyway, thanks as usual to the gurus here.

Gorham

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: gorham ]

Old 12-11-2002, 07:54 AM
**Do Not Delete**

I pretty much agree. Unless you need max quality for large prints, shooting RAW>TIFF is not worth the hassle and time to convert. Converting Canon RAW files is way too slow and there is little control. Color balancing and sharpness settings, the exposure control is a joke, very limited

Old 12-11-2002, 11:53 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

Noel_Carboni

quote:
I think it's more bother than it's worth.

My sediments exactly. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

-Noel