Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Canon 1-series Digital SLR and EOS 5D

Notices

LinkBack (25) Thread Tools Display Modes
  12 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 12-04-2008, 05:51 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

MikeA 10
Canon 5D MKII Video Mode Review Discussion

Doesn't any tool require talent, knowledge, skill and expertise to use well?

As for the spam email with this thread's title as the subject, full of colorRight advertising. I really appreciated it.

Michael

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

ChrisPerry 10
Re: Canon 5D MKII Video Mode a Disaster

First let me say thanks for the review - every opinion helps. I won't be getting a 5D2 until late winter so I am excitedly watching from the sidelines for now.

Having done a lot of video back in college (20 some years ago) let me first day that Video is NOT still photography.
HD/Pro quality video gear is NOT the same as a camcorder.

Based on your review here is some things to think about.
12 minutes is an eternity for a take. Who on earth would run one that long? If you want to record a seminar there are tools for that. And you'd use a tripod for it as you should for ALL video unless you have a camera stabilizer and the training/practice to use it well (and few do that don't do it for a living).
I don't know of any P&S cameras that let you zoom during video (must be some out there). Why not? NOISE! Noise of the zoom motor. It has a mic built in just to say it does. You'll never get quality sound from it anyway as it's never going to be at the location of the action but at the photographer (well, videographer)'s location. You need a remote, wireless mic.
Sensor gets hot and it's get noisy (image wise). Duh. It will as a still camera so why would video be any different? Again, taking long clips is not normal.
No manual control of ISO/SHutter/Aperture? I've heard you can, at least aperture and ISO. Of course you can't do it in the middle of a clip. Most video cameras do this automatically (aperture usually I think) so it's not unusual if it does it too. I would think there different modes that would allow it.
I'm surprised there's AF at all. Again, my experience with video was back in the day and AF was new and not on the high end gear anyway.

As to software, well, HD video is relatively new and not a low end item. Need top of the line computer? Sure. You'll want that for messing about with 21mp RAW files anyway, right? Video in general is huge. I'd heard about the codec but but the marketplace will catch up. In the past a new camera means ACR needs an update and I've seen that take 6 weeks - this is a bigger new deal so if you're an early adopter you'll have growing pains.

My perspective I guess is different. I think like a movie maker and how wonderful this beast will be. Laforet's movie is an example. It's not one long 30 minute take, but short takes cut together. He's not shooting action so AF isn't important (rarely is in a movie unless there is action and even then you'd be surpised how it's not needed). And Vincent found a way to edit the footage so it can be done.

Anyone who buys a 5D2 for the video capibilty alone either knows video or is going to be surprised (and not in a good way). It's a still camera that includes video for free. Neat trick IMO. Will it be used for anything, useful, bu 99% of the camera's buyers? No, I dont' think so.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Basic Member

Mike Keller 10

As I read the list of Cons, I thought "Well, this is obvious...this is self-evident...well, what did you expect?"

I'm a Nikon user, so I don't even know the features of this camera, but let's look at these.

Auto Focus is Manual (must push AF-ON button every time you wish to achieve focus lock) - Well, auto focus would be nice but it's a still camera pretending to be a video camera. Most video cameras I've used have made me wish they HAD manual focus.

AF is Slow - a legitimate concern I guess, but see above.

Extremely Difficult to Hand Hold and Keep Steady (no shoulder mount, or in camera stabilization) - Yeah, I want a shoulder mount for a still camera. It's still just a DSLR.

Tripod Basically a Requirement - this is really not a separate issue, it's part of the above. Don't make it sound like "another" con.

Internal Mic picks up every little noise including, and especially the AF motors and IS motors - Most video cameras with in-camera mic do this, it's just that a still camera masquerading as a video camera will have additional noise issues.

External Mic Basically a Requirement - again, this is just part of the above. Can you plug an external mic into this camera? If so, I'd call THAT a plus.

Difficult to judge focus
from the LCD screen when shooting in low light - No adjustment for brightening the LCD screen? I usually find LCD screens too bright in the dark. Is it because the LCD screen doesn't have the resolution necessary to check the focus?

No manual control of Aperture, Shutter, or ISO - OK, this is a true, big, fat negative!

4gb Clip Limit (about 12 Minutes in HD) - what, you want to use this camera to video Little Johnny's school play? Most PJs using this camera on a job will be shooting much shorter clips.

Image degrades due to heat over time. Must allow the camera time to "cool off" in between long takes. - OK, this is a legitimate con, although again, what's a "long take?"

No Included Editing Software - Gimme a break, have you ever seen "included editing software" that was worth the price? (i.e. free?)

Very little software available to the prosumer/consumer for editing footage - Hey, you want HD you gotta buy the software to edit HD.

Expensive Computer Gear and Editing Set-up Required for most Use (or tanscoding to an intermediate codec) - we're supposed to be pro photographers, this is a pro camera, and you're shooting HD. The files are gonna be big.

Recent Computer Gear Required just for Playback of unedited files straight from the camera. - I presume that it saves in the Quicktime format you put online. Yep, if you want to watch video that's 1900 pixels wide, you're going to need a pretty fast computer. It was stuttering on my PC, do we have any list of specs to play back the files smoothly? Maybe that's why you don't need a 1080p camera for Little Johnny's school play.

BTW, how about including file size alongside the links to the videos? Clip 1 is almost 72MB.

Anyway, maybe the 720p files of the Nikon D90 sound a little better now. Can you shoot the smaller format in the Canon?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

DougAxford

A review of the camera as a still camera prior to a review as a video recorder would have been useful here. For most of us, the use as a video recorder is way back on the list of priorities.

Hopefully a proper review of the Canon 5D MKII is on the way.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Registered

Ron Metz 10

Agreed. It is primarily a still camera and in all fairness to Canon, one needs to review it on that basis first. I view the video portion of this camera as a "nicety". However, just hearing from the site administrator is somewhat a step in the right direction.

Last edited by Ron Metz; 12-06-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

Capt Tedd Greenwald 10
You lost a member with this review-stop colorite spam

Sorry Pro Photo Home but this spamathon with Color Right has me putting you in the junk mail. I would not be a member here if it were free, I would not want to be here even if you paid me. I'm more annoyed that you would not review this camera first as a camera. I don't even know it's still camera quality and personally don't care for it's video mode at all. It's just a tool. I can use a vice grip pliers on a chrome nut and it will remove it but it's best to use a 6 point wrench instead. Right tool for the right job is the mark of a professional mechanic, or any pro. If your trying to drive traffic to your site I can understand that you need to make a profit but this kind of drivel just makes me say to you good bye for ever. I will not renew.

Last edited by Capt Tedd Greenwald; 12-04-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

Terry Zorich 10
Re: You lost a member with this review-stop colorite spam

Wow - the negativity is a bit overwhelming.
However, I have to say that based solely on the content of the review, I can't disagree with any of the responses.

The review seems to have been entered into with a preconceived notion of what to expect from the video function. Based on Vincent LaForet's amazing demo video, and even the video stills you posted here, the camera is obviously VERY capable in a video capacity.

And as you said, the pros will make it work for them. And that's all anyone should have expected. If you want a camcorder to use to shoot the kids growing up, you can get a nice one for a whole lot less than $2500...