Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Canon 1-series Digital SLR and EOS 5D

Notices

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
  2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1  
Old 08-14-2006, 01:08 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

JeffONeil 10
Vignetting with the 5D

I have both the 1D MKII and the 5D.

Both are excellent and each has their respective advantages and disadvantages. So we'll agree on that part..ok!

I was doing some walk around shots today for a local newspaper during a streetfest. I took the 5D for the weight factor along with my 28-135 IS. The 28-135 is a lens I've used quite a bit on the MKII as it's light has IS and generally covers street scenes quite nicely.

When I got home and looked at my shots..serious vignetting on the 5D. Not on all shots...it seems to be a mix of 28mm wide and certain light conditions.

I expected some vignetting with the 5D...but not as much as I saw today.

I know this is not an L lens...I left the 24-70 at home with the MkII mainly due to weight factor...it was about a 4 hour walk about taking pics at the various venues..about 200 shots in all.

Now to my question. With the Full frame sensors such as the 5D am I limited to just L glass? My shots today are not a waste as I can crop most of it out and in a couple of shots..it's actually a nice effect.

But what is one to do with a full frame sensor? I love the camera...I hate the weight of L lenses in certain conditions. I'd look at the 24-105 as an option but i understand vignetting is sometimes a problem there as well. For work like today a zoom is a nice option rather than swithching lenses all the time.

Some suggestions on lens choices? I'm also open to advice on certain lighting conditions that would lessen the vignetting.

Appreciate the time for your responses.

Jeff

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-14-2006, 01:45 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

Ken_Tanaka 10
Re: Vignetting with the 5D

Jeff: Digital sensors are not as sensitive as film to light landing at oblique angles. The "vignetting" you see is not so much a matter of "L" lens -vs- consumer lenses as it is a function of this property. (It can happen on film images, too.) Light fall-off near the corners of an image is something that's common to many lenses particularly, but certainly not exclusively, wide angle lenses (or wide zoom lenses at wide focal lengths) at wide apertures.

Photoshop CS2 has a facility that enables you to eliminate undesirable vignetting. It's a snap to use and certainly offers a better alternative to cropping.

Stopping the lens down very slightly will often avoid "vignetting" altogether. Slight changes in focal length (with a zoom lens) can also sometimes eliminate vignetting.

Last edited by Ken_Tanaka; 08-14-2006 at 02:57 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:29 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

MikeA 10

Hi,

Just a note to say that Adobe Lightroom also has a vignetting repair tool in the Develop module.

I use 24mm on my 24-105/5D combo often, and I have seen some minor vignetting at wide-open, which I rarely use in situations where it would be noticeable like sunsets etc.

Mike

Old 08-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

JeffONeil 10

Thanks folks..will give the CS2 option a try...the vignetting was pretty severe but we'll see how it works! I do notice after looking at the shots it's angle of light in most cases..I'm learnin!

Thanks

Jeff

Old 08-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Basic Member

Blue & Gold 10

I haven't noticed vignetting any different than with my old A-1.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

AndrewCassino 10

I don't think this is so much of an L glass issue, but the nature of wide angle to moderate telephoto zooms with a zoom range greater than 3:1. I've never had a 3:1 zoom lens of this type that didn't exhibit some vignetting, even on film. If vignetting and geometric distortion are of prime importance, I think it is best to stick to the 2:1 zooms.

That said, I don't think the vignetting with either my 28-135mm IS or my 24-105mm IS L is even close to "serious", I've only had to correct for it a couple of times since I got my 5D. Of course, as they say, "your mileage may vary"!

Andrew

Old 08-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Premium Lifetime Member

Ken_Tanaka 10

For those interested in gaining a more in-depth understanding of vignetting a fellow named Paul van Walree has prepared an excellent brief treatise on this subject. While it may not prevent your lens from vignetting a shot every so often the article is worth a read to enrich your optical knowledge.