Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Canon 1-series Digital SLR and EOS 5D

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Basic Member

Graham_Taylor 10
Pocket Wizard Alternatives

Hi Everyone
I know quite a few posters here use the pocket wizard but does anyone use an alternative?
I'm using an infa red setup but but with so many digital cameras flashing around at events its causing havoc.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Basic Member

Pete_Riding 10
Re: Pocket Wizard Alternatives

Bowens Pulsars. When first introduced there were reliability issues - units would fail to fire intermittently. The manufacturers have now increased the signal duration and made some other modifications & all seems well. I used four of the new units on Saturday evening for 700 exposures firing three Bowens monoblocs and all was well. These units are also very easy to use with Canon 550EX's just by connecting a cheap hotshoe with synch cable - no special cables required.

p.s. I used to live in Humberston & went to TollBar school - small world :-)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Basic Member

Cliff_Spicer 10

Check out Paramount cords for an alternative.

Cliff

Old 12-13-2004, 11:54 PM
Basic Member

Randy_Brister 10

<<<I know quite a few posters here use the pocket wizard >>>

For good reason [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Randy

Old 12-14-2004, 02:36 AM
Basic Member

JohnGwillim 10

I have a set of Quantum Freewires that my work owns that I have used which seem to work fairly well. They are transceivers, like the PW multimax model, which is nice if you have varying needs for multiple receivers/transmitters that will change frequently. They have 5 channels and a variety of inputs and outputs, unlike the PW models which use only the 1/8" mini plug. They seem to be fairly reliable and have the equivilent of the ABCD on the Multimax models as well; This allows you to have, say, 4 strobes, all with a receiver attached to them. By moving a switch, you can select which ones will fire and which ones will not, still having them all on the same channel.

But, after using these I went with the PW multimax models handsdown for my own purchase. The have a greater range, are more reliable, have more features, are a lot smaller and a more streamlined design (the Freewire seriously looks like a refrigerator attached to the top of your camera, they are huge), have a lot more channels, ect. I would even take a set of the PW Plus models over the freewires as long as you do not really need the flexibility of the tranceiver. I think there were some older Quantum products that served a simular purpose, but I have not had any expierience with them. Hope that helps,

John

Old 12-14-2004, 09:11 AM
Basic Member

Graham_Taylor 10

Thanks for the replies guys. I know the pocket wizard is top of the pile with not much else out there but thought i'd ask.

Pete, nice too hear from you.You may be pleased to know (or not) your old school is doing fine.I shoot their prom & staff every year.Your right the world does get smaller & smaller each day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Basic Member

Stefan_Randlkofer 10

there is just nothing better than pocketwizards. i never heard of anyone who had troubles with it. i shot thousands of frames with a multimax setup and didn't have ONE mistriggering. thats what i call reliable. i used the bowens system once with loads of problems. i will never get near that junk again.