Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Camera Discussion - Full Access for Basic Members > Canon 1-series Digital SLR and EOS 5D

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Basic Member

Rick_Stern 10
Canon DPP Tutorial

Thanks to Igas on DPReview for sharing this link:

http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/dpp/index.html

Appears to be for MAC Version

Rick

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-09-2004, 05:44 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

Edmund_Ronald 10
Re: Canon DPP Tutorial

The link above should be checked by eveyone on this forum . The tutorials are excellent . It appears Canon have gots serious about software, this seems well on the way to be production-quality. I recommend you look at the chapters 14-20 of the tutorial, in particular 17 (white balance). I particularly like the way how you can carry over settings from the current edit to other files in the thumbnails.

Edmund

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Basic Member

Stefan_Bruckel 10

Looks like they have made an attempt at replicating some of the nice features of C1. For those who have not yet paid the $500 for C1, this might be a reasonable alternative. Personally, I still prefer the work flow of C1, as well as the ability to sharpen and crop, which will often allow me to avoid PS completely. With DPP one still needs PS for some basic tasks... maybe the next version will include those.

Thanks for posing the link, and yes, this is a great tutorial.

Old 05-11-2004, 02:15 AM
Basic Member

Paul_Jaruszewski 10

Thanks for the link and information. I picked up the Mark II yesterday and hadn't found the software in the box until I went looking for it after your post.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 05-11-2004, 07:03 AM
Premium Lifetime Member

RalphEisenberg 10

Thanks very much for posting this very worthwhile link. Despite the focused information it provides, I would tend to concur with a previous poster regarding the general ease in terms of workflow and excellent results of C1 Pro, for 1Ds files. Naturally I'm waiting to see how C1 fares with Mk 2 images.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:45 AM
Basic Member

Bob_Parsons 10

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link and information. I picked up the Mark II yesterday and hadn't found the software in the box until I went looking for it after your post.

Thanks,

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I also didn't find the DPP software at first. It seems the manuals and FVU are put in the top of the box by the local distributor whereas DPP is packed in Japan and in my case was at the bottom underneath everything else.

Bob.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Basic Member

Rick_Stern 10

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks very much for posting this very worthwhile link. Despite the focused information it provides, I would tend to concur with a previous poster regarding the general ease in terms of workflow and excellent results of C1 Pro, for 1Ds files. Naturally I'm waiting to see how C1 fares with Mk 2 images.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too have grown very accustomed to the workflow and quality results from Capture One Pro. Reports from the beta testers indicate the enhancements ROCK in the new version. After using C1 for almost a year with my 10D, I kinda feel like a "fish out of water" not having it for the MarkII from day one. But I'm also willing to be patient until the last few kinks are worked out (yeah right, I just missed getting on the Beta Test list - grrrrrr). There's a capable and critical bunch of guys putting it through it's paces, so I sure when it does come out, it will be ready for "prime time".

I was all prepared to hate DPP, based on comments from a few people that had worked with it in pre-production.

Even started using ACR, but it really has no "flow" to it, despite some of the advanced features relating to "lens abberations" and color calibration (and I've observed that it actually puts some pretty horrible artifacts that resemble dark noise in alot of the captures I've converted). I wasn't "truly impressed" with it before, and now after learning how to use DPP effectively, I've "ditched it" again.

All that's really "missing" in DPP for me, is sharpening, cropping, noise reduction and the ability to see the AF points. Even though there is sharpening capability when saving to jpg, I like keeping my stuff in 16 bit tiff, saving to 8 bit jpg only after I've finished all edits. I really like the sharpening and noise reduction algorithms in C1. The ability to paste parameters onto other captures in thumbnail view seems even more intuitive than the similar feature in C1. For an "included freebie", Canon actually did a fairly decent job with DPP, and the tutorial (which should be MANDATORY VIEWING for every 1DM2/DPP owner) is put together very well and is truly helpful in outlining the capabilities of the software and how to RAW workflow with it.

EVU is slightly better than FVU was, but the user interface is quite horrible. It appears to me, that the settings are a good analogy to the "in camera" parameter settings (actually it seems to match them - no coincidence I'll wager) and would probably be very useful in "previewing" these settings for making decisions regarding in-camera jpg processing parameters.

But again, DPP is actually much better than I expected it to be, especially after going through the tutorial and really learning how to use it effectivly. Phase One should take notice, and maybe try and do a similar type of tutorial for Capture One.

Tip of the hat to Canon for the DPP Tutorial, and glad to be able to share it with my cohorts here...

Regards,

Rick