Pro Photo HOME
Go Back   Pro Photo HOME > Professional Digital Workflow Discussion - Full Access for Premium Members > Archiving

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Stephen_Kennedy

Best Way To Mail DVDs?

After every location shoot I burn a DVD of the raw captures before I leave. I bring a self-addressed envelope and drop it in the nearest mail box so that even if all my gear vanishes the shoot will still be backed up.

I've been using a semi-rigid bubble pack style envelope that looks like it could withstand some pretty severe abuse. The cost is relatively low, but 5 or 6 of these envelopes take up an inordinate amount of space in my kit.

Last month I joined Netflix, the mail delivery DVD subscription service. Imagine my surprise when I received my first DVD in the mail. It was shipped in a thin paper envelope the folds over on itself to be used to return the watched DVD back to Netflix. It's really thin and flimsy, maybe even thinner than a regular sheet of bonded paper.

This makes me think that my method of shipping DVDs for backup and storage is overkill. If Netflix ships millions of DVDs in nothing but a thin paper wrapper maybe this will work for me.

Has anyone experienced DVD destruction in the U.S. Mail? And if so, what kind of packaging was used?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Basic Member

Paul_Williamson 10
Re: Best Way To Mail DVDs?

I've received a DVD destroyed in the mail. It was in a special hard case. The case was slightly crushed, breaking off pieces of hard plastic (from the snap-on center hub) which proceeded to scratch up the surface of the DVD. Even Netflix's paper envelope is superior in that respect.

I'm sure Netflix knows exactly the loss rate and how much it costs to replace a broken disk, and expects to lose a few. I suspect your tradeoff will be very different.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Basic Member

Brian_Hamfeldt 10

I agree with Paul's assesment of cost/loss ratio of DVD's for Netflix - but I do think that you have a bit of overkill. I've been shipping CDs for the last two years on 5x7 mailers - the rigid ones, but with no bubble wrap in them. I've never heard of any incidents with them. The 5x7 mailers would take up alot less room than the bubble variants (I would think?)

Brian.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:47 PM
Basic Member

Dennis_Hallinan 10

Once a month I airmail a DVD to England in a cheap 5x7 mailer with one layer of small bubble wrap around the DVD. Mailing cost from Florida: $2.40. So far they all made it safely. I also get DVDs from Netflix but they are shipped from another town only 20 miles away. A couple have been damaged.

Dennis

Old 08-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Stephen_Kennedy

[ QUOTE ]
I also get DVDs from Netflix but they are shipped from another town only 20 miles away. A couple have been damaged.

Dennis

[/ QUOTE ]

Dennis,

Was the damage from the U.S. mail handling, like a crack or actual break? Or was it possibly damage from a previous user?

Old 08-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Basic Member

Dennis_Hallinan 10

I don't know, Stephen. It could be from either and/or both. Also, I have had two or three that wouldn't play at all with no visible damage. My understanding is Netflix cleans each DVD after use. Perhaps one falls through the cracks (or off the conveyor belt) occasionally.

PS Plastic jewel cases are probably the worst packaging invention for shippers :-)

Dennis

Old 08-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Basic Member

Craig_Hartley 10

Just my two cents worth. I've had good luck mailing CD/DVDs in standard 6x9 envelopes. I put the disk in a foam/plastic Fellowes sleeve and put the sleeve inside the one page invoice and then put them both inside a light weight piece of file folder material. I mail disks to clients all the time with no problem.